Sunday, December 02, 2007

Linux Ubuntu 7.10 (Gutsy)

I honestly thought it would be a breeze.

For the uninitiated, Linux is THE open-source (read: FREE) Operating System that's out there for the masses. So yesterday, I took the plunge and installed it on my Laptop.

I was impressed with driver compatibility. No issue with difficult to find laptop drivers at all.

Open-Office, Ubuntu's answer to Micro$oft's stranglehold on word processing, presentation and spreadsheet software, worked like a charm, and really, it looks a lot better than the ancient, dated Windows XP that we love to hate.


The hurdles came when it came to installing programs. You had to learn a whole freaking language to do it. Case in point my installation of Beryl, which was supposed to grant me an uber cool Grafical User Interface (GUI).

I had to copy and spew complicated lines of codes and start figuring things out like a puzzle. But hey, I'm 25 in a few weeks. I'm a little old for that.

So alas, here I am, defeated, dejected, and reinstalling that overused copy of Windows XP, the old adage proven yet again-

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey mine is broke. fix mine.